Project Title: Water Security and Building Resilience for Mountain Communities
Year: 2018 – 2019
Project Duration: 1 Year
- Efficient use of water resources to enhance socio economic and environmental well-being of disadvantaged communities with gender equity.
- Community stewardship in sustainable use of water for replenishment benefits to man and nature
- Develop synergistic linkages between local authorities and local communities for climate compatible development
- 253 hectares of land provided with reliable source of water for agriculture activities
- Construction of a total of 10,000 RFT transmission line of which 7000 running feet (RFT) will be delivered through underground piped irrigation and 3000 RFT through open paved channels to irrigate 253 hectare (106.2 hectares of existing land to receive improved water while 126.5 hectares of additional land brought under cultivation.
- 4.375 acres per annum. 3.85 billion liters will be replenished per annum of which 2.57 billion liters will be replenished for 8 months for agriculture use.
- 3.85 billion liters of water will be replenished at the rate of 4.375 per annum. 2.57 billion liters will be replenished for agricultural use for 8 months. The rate of discharge will remain constant throughout the year.
- Two training workshops conducted to build capacity of 22 members in project management and skill development.
- Employ a gender equitable approach to raise awareness and disseminate information about climate-smart mitigation and adaptation approaches.
- 3 days awareness workshops to disseminate information.
Major Activities undertaken:
- 3 Meetings with community and relevant govt department to develop consensus on project activities in target school
- Signing of terms of partnership (TOP) with Community Organization
- Build stakeholder consensus and the capacity of Community Organization with an inclusive and gender responsive institutional framework.
- Develop project technical feasibility and design for irrigation system.
- Share design with local authority, local community and obtain consent from both
- Develop work plan in consultation with local community with milestones, timelines, roles/responsibilities and means of verification
- Procurement of pipes, construction of catchment chamber.
3.85 billion liters of water will be replenished at the rate of 4.375 per annum. 2.57 billion liters will be replenished for agricultural use for 8 months. The rate of discharge will remain constant throughout the year.